Ghee has been used for centuries in certain parts of the world but it has only recently become popular in western culture. Commonly used in Ayurveda it is believed to help purify and cleanse the body. For those who aren’t familiar with ghee it is clarified butter traditionally made from cows milk that has had the water and milk fats removed. Nutritionally rich like coconut oil, ghee is a great fat to cook with. Here are my top six reasons why you should consider adding ghee into your diet:
- Ghee has a high smoke point and is very stable to cook with.
- Ghee is lactose and casein free which makes is a great fat for people who struggle with digesting lactose.
- Ghee helps to support weight loss. The medium chain fatty acids in ghee help to burn other fats that are in our system, and it is believed that ghee helps to jumpstart our digestive system.
- Ghee contains butyric acid which is helpful in maintaining a healthy colon. Butyric acid has been shown to help people suffering from IBS and Crohn’s disease.
- Ghee is rich in fat soluble vitamins A, D and E. Fat soluble vitamins are vitamins that require fat to be present in order for the body to absorb them. They help to support various biochemical functions within the body and maintain a healthy metabolism.
- Ghee helps to create a more alkalizing environment within the body, which in turn helps to reduce inflammation particularly in the digestive tract. Chronic inflammation has been linked to many diseases including cancer, arthritis and Alzheimer’s disease so it is important to try to reduce the level of inflammation within the body.
Ghee has a buttery taste that adds great flavour to many dishes. Remember though- moderation is key. Just because something is good for doesn’t mean that you need to overdo it.
What is your favourite oil to cook with?
I hope that you have a great day! XXS
I love to try out new beauty products, and without a doubt my favourite beauty product in my beauty arsenal are masks. Sheet masks, foam masks, clay masks, DIY masks – I love them all and I try a new one every chance that I get. I consider masking a bit of self love for my skin in my on going quest to be the glowy-est possible version of myself. Recently, I treated myself to the new Honey Potion mask from Farmacy, and to say that I am obsessed with this mask is an understatement. It is fabulous! Filled with hydrating ingredients and anti oxidants, this mask leaves your skin moisturized, glowing and refreshed.
True to it’s name Honey Potion looks like a jar of honey (just don’t eat it) and when you massage it onto your skin it turns white and begins to warm up. The warming sensation adds to the spa feel of this mask. Wash it off with warm water after 10 – 15 minutes and enjoy the glow! As an extra little bonus the spatula that comes with the jar magnetically attaches to the lid – perfect for someone like me who always loses the spatula!
The ingredients in Honey Potion include ultra hydrating honey, propolis and royal jelly all of which makes this mask a must have for winter as cold outdoor temperatures and indoor heating can be incredibly dehydrating and wreck havoc on your skin.
For those of you that are not familiar with the Farmacy brand, it is definitely one that you should check out. They combine farm grown botanicals with cutting edge technology to produce clean irritant free products. Plus all of Farmacy’s products are made from naturally derived ingredients and free of parabens, formaldehyde and artificial colourings plus their products are not tested on animals. Effective clean, green beauty – this mask checks every box and is the perfect addition to my beauty arsenal.
Have you tried any products from Farmacy? What is your favourite beauty product?
I hope that you have a beautiful day!