I realize that summer 2017 is coming to an end, but I am planning to enjoy every day that we have left. Lemonade is a summer favourite for most people and there is a cool coffee shop in my neighbourhood that makes the best honey ginger lemonade. Unfortunately, treating myself to a glass often can get pretty pricey so I have been making my version of this delicious beverage at home to enjoy on a regular basis. The other day I had some leftover pineapple in my fridge so I decided to make a variation of my summertime favourite beverage. A quick Google search taught me that I was not completely original in my thinking, as it turns out that pineapple ginger lemonade is a popular Indian beverage but I am quite fond of my variation so I still wanted to share it with all of you.
This recipe is super simple and is very easy to tailor to your own taste. Naturally sweetened with raw honey it also has some great health benefits (you can learn more about the benefits of raw honey here). Overall this recipe is refreshing and great if you are suffering with a summer cold as the ginger, lemon and honey will help you on the road to recovery.
Pineapple Ginger Lemonade
Makes 4 cups
1 inch piece of peeled ginger
2 lemons + more for garnishing
1/2 cup of pineapple chunks
1 1/2 tablespoon raw honey
3 cups water
- Juice the 2 lemons and pour into a high speed blender
- Add the rest of the ingredients and blend on high speed until completely blended
- Strain (optional – I prefer to not to)
- Pour into a pitcher and refrigerate until cool
- Pour into glasses (add ice if needed) and enjoy!
I hope that you have a wonderful day! XXS
Growing up I hated honey and would avoid it at all costs. When I started to clean up my diet a few years ago, I read an article about the benefits of raw honey and decided to try it out in the hopes that I would like it better then the processed stuff that I had hated. It was love at first taste! I don’t know if it’s because my tastes have changed as I have gotten older or if it really does taste that much better, but raw honey has become a staple in my pantry. I really don’t know how I ever lived without it!
For those of you who are unfamiliar with raw honey here is a quick overview:
- Raw honey is not filtered or pasteurized
- Raw honey is opaque rather then clear commercial honey
- It is immediately taken from the cells of the honey comb
- Raw honey is free from additives
Here are my top 5 reasons to include raw honey in my diet:
- Raw honey contains bee pollen which helps to provide natural allergy relief, boost your immunity and helps to ward off infections.
- If you struggle with insomnia then you may want to try having a bit of raw honey before bedtime. A known sleep promoter, raw honey helps to restock the glycogen in the liver which helps you to stay asleep during the night. Try stirring it into some golden milk for a comforting bedtime beverage. Get my recipe here
- I always reach for raw honey when I feel a cold coming on. It is well known as a natural cough syrup and it can also help to reduce mucus secretion
- Raw honey is an antioxidant superhero. It helps to block free radicals in the body which can cause disease
- Natural energy source – if you are struggling through a work out, consider having a bit of raw honey to give you a boost. It’s 80% natural sugar, which will help you to power through that workout with ease
Raw honey loses it’s beneficial properties as it is heated so it is best used incorporated into dishes and drinks after it has been removed from heat. It is important to note that raw honey is still a source of sugar so do not go overboard when using it!
I hope that you have a beautiful day! XXS
This blog post is for information purposes only, and does not constitute medical advice. It is not intended to serve as a substitute for a consultation or medical treatment from a qualified physician or healthcare practitioner.