Growing up I hated honey and would avoid it at all costs. When I started to clean up my diet a few years ago, I read an article about the benefits of raw honey and decided to try it out in the hopes that I would like it better then the processed stuff that I had hated. It was love at first taste! I don’t know if it’s because my tastes have changed as I have gotten older or if it really does taste that much better, but raw honey has become a staple in my pantry. I really don’t know how I ever lived without it!
For those of you who are unfamiliar with raw honey here is a quick overview:
- Raw honey is not filtered or pasteurized
- Raw honey is opaque rather then clear commercial honey
- It is immediately taken from the cells of the honey comb
- Raw honey is free from additives
Here are my top 5 reasons to include raw honey in my diet:
- Raw honey contains bee pollen which helps to provide natural allergy relief, boost your immunity and helps to ward off infections.
- If you struggle with insomnia then you may want to try having a bit of raw honey before bedtime. A known sleep promoter, raw honey helps to restock the glycogen in the liver which helps you to stay asleep during the night. Try stirring it into some golden milk for a comforting bedtime beverage. Get my recipe here
- I always reach for raw honey when I feel a cold coming on. It is well known as a natural cough syrup and it can also help to reduce mucus secretion
- Raw honey is an antioxidant superhero. It helps to block free radicals in the body which can cause disease
- Natural energy source – if you are struggling through a work out, consider having a bit of raw honey to give you a boost. It’s 80% natural sugar, which will help you to power through that workout with ease
Raw honey loses it’s beneficial properties as it is heated so it is best used incorporated into dishes and drinks after it has been removed from heat. It is important to note that raw honey is still a source of sugar so do not go overboard when using it!
I hope that you have a beautiful day! XXS
This blog post is for information purposes only, and does not constitute medical advice. It is not intended to serve as a substitute for a consultation or medical treatment from a qualified physician or healthcare practitioner.