Detox is a commonly used word amongst people in the wellness community, and over the past few years it has become a commonly used buzz word in popular culture as well. It means many things to many people, but essentially it is used to communicate a method to rid toxins – most commonly from the body. While your body has detox organs that help to eliminate toxins from your body naturally, there are certain things that one can do to help further stimulate this process within the body.
This year I decided to incorporate a new detox ritual into my self care routine, namely dry brushing. This self care routine has become popular over the past few years, and while I had attempted once or twice prior to this year, 2016 is the year that I committed. For those of you that don’t know, dry brushing is the process of brushing your skin with a natural bristle brush. Some of the benefits of dry brushing include:
- It sweeps away dry skin cells
- Improves digestion
- Stimulates the lymph nodes
- Improves the appearance of cellulite
- Boosts circulation
It is best to dry brush before you take your shower and many prefer to do it in the morning as they feel energized after. How to maximize your dry brushing experience:
- Use a soft but firm natural bristle brush
- Start dry brushing at your feet and brush upwards to your heart
- While dry brushing your stomach, brush in a counter clockwise circular motion
- Use a circular motion when dry brushing your chest – that is where lymph drainage occurs
- Take your time, spend 3 – 5 minutes dry brushing
- Enjoy the process, it is a great time to breathe and take some time for yourself while doing something great for your body.
I am so happy that I have added dry brushing into my self care routine. My skin looks and feels great since I have started. It forces me to slow down and take a minute for myself while I am brushing. It is extremely therapeutic and I find myself looking forward to my new self care ritual on a daily basis.
Are there any new self care rituals that you have included in your routine this year? Let me know in the comments below.
I hope that you have a fabulous day! XXS