I had the pleasure of interviewing the incredibly talented Egyptian designer Ahmed Hussein for this month’s Behind the Design. I first discovered Ahmed on Instagram when I came across a stunning marble bathroom that he designed, and I have been hooked on his work ever since. His clever use of luxurious materials, texture, colour and art demonstrate a talent for design that most people can only hope to have. If you are looking for a talented designer to follow then look no further as Ahmed delivers projects that are nothing short of fabulous every single time. Without further adieu, here is my interview with Ahmed Hussein:
- Did you always know that you wanted to work in architecture and design? Has it always been your passion?
In the beginning, I decided to go to the faculty of engineering to become a chemical engineer like my cousin, to get big salary.
But at the end of the first year, in the engineering drawing class, one of the teachers noticed that my drawing was very different and distinctive,
Then asked me, which department you will join?
I answered chemical.
He asked me do you love chemistry.
I answered no.
Then he smiled and starts talking about architecture.
- How would you describe your design esthetic?
Design as a musical melody has to touch your feelings
- Where do you find your inspiration from?
From everything and everywhere
- What has been your most challenging project so far? Why was it so challenging?
El Merghany apartment because of the painted 2 ceilings 7m x 4m and 3m x 4m
- What has been your favourite project to date?
Every project I did has something in my heart
- How long does it take for you to normally complete a project?
8 to 12 months
- Any favourite travel destinations that you like to escape too? Why?
Paris, Rome, Athens & Barcelona
Historical cities, I love old stories
- Describe your perfect day in Cairo – what would you do? Where would you go?
The week days I start my day at 10 am go to my office and finish at 7pm
Then I go back home to see my family
The weekend I try to relax and do something new and different with my friends and my family
- What wellness practices do you incorporate into your lifestyle to help you deliver such beautiful projects? (This can range from workouts, nutrition, meditation practice, etc)
I take my bike at the night with my headphones for one hour before I sleep
(Workout and music give me the power)
- Where do you see yourself in five years?
I hope to become one of the most famous designers in the world
- Any words of wisdom for someone who is just starting out their design career?
Follow your passion, be prepared to work hard and sacrifice, and above all don’t let anyone limit your dreams
Thank you Ahmed for taking the time for this interview!
If you would like to see more of Ahmed’s work you can find him on Instagram @ahmedhusseindesigns
All pictures in this post were provided by Ahmed Hussein Designs.
I hope that you have a fabulous day! XXS