Carola Vannini is a talented Rome based architect whose designs are the true definition of timeless sophistication. With a minimalistic yet elevated aesthetic, Carola has the ability to transform worn and dated interiors into timeless, elegant, dream worthy spaces. Since discovering her work, I have spent a lot of time admiring her designs both on Instagram and on her own website. I absolutely love how she uses backlighting to create beautiful lit from within interiors in a variety of spaces. As an admirer of her work, I was very excited when she agreed to be a part of Stylishly Zen’s Behind the Design series:
- Did you always know that you wanted to work in architecture? Has it always been your passion?
I actually didn’t. I never thought of being an architect before signing into my university classes. It was a surprise for me to find out such an interesting world.
- How would you describe your design esthetic?
I would describe it as a balance between ancient and contemporary minimalism. My motto is “Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication” and I totally believe so.
- Where do you find your inspiration from?
It depends on every peculiar case. I always adjust my taste to the environment I have to deal with and, of course, with the clients’ taste and needs.
- What has been your most challenging project so far? Why was it so challenging?
It is definitely the one I am still working on at the moment. It is a new construction Barn House in Tuscany. A very big project that I had to design from scratch. Now it is almost completed even though I am still working on the garden and landscape design of it.
- What is your favourite project to date?
Among the completed ones, it is Navona Penthouse. I am very attached to that project because I had a great feeling with my clients and brought me a lot of satisfaction when it got published on last April issue of AD Italia.
- How long does it take for you to normally complete a project?
From the design to the final step, I would say one year. But then, again, it depend on the case.
- What is your favourite part about working in architecture?
The design part, where creativity can flow out of my head. Afterwords, the works themselves can get pretty stressing and tiring. Less creative and more practical.
- Any favourite travel destinations that you like to escape too?Why?
I really enjoy Greece, especially the small islands. But my heart is actually in Thailand. A little too far from me to escape there only for a few days though.
- How would you describe the design style/esthetic in Italy?
There is always a cassic and elegant touch. No matter what, if you were born in Italy, you breath beauty since your first day of life and I truly believe that this effects us all. Not only architects.
- Do you have a favourite type of project to work on (private/public)? Why?
I mainly work on residential and I like it very much. I would really to go back to some public space design though, such as restaurants or hotels.
- What wellness practices do you incorporate into your lifestyle to help you deliver such beautiful projects? (This can range from workouts, nutrition, meditation practice, etc)
I am a pilates and yoga fanatic. I really think that my daily workout is the best moment of my day; so useful for me to take a break and go back into myself. It helps me to face the rest of may time with much more energy and positive attitude.
- Any words of wisdom for someone who is just starting out their design career?
Don’t give up your ideas for your clients’ ones. If you are really convinced that something is right that way, try to take them by hand and gently make them understand your point. You are the architect, right?
Thank you for stopping by and special thanks to Carola for taking the time to participate in this month’s Behind the Design. To see more of Carola’s work you can visit her website at http://www.carolavannini.com or check her out on Instagram @carolavannini
I hope that you have a beautiful day! XXS
All images courtesy of Carola Vannini