Starting your day with hot water and lemon has often been suggested on every wellness blog and detox blog that I have ever read or perused. I began to include hot water with honey and lemon into my morning ritual about 10 years ago after reading about the metabolism and immunity boosting benefits that it provided. I began this ritual when I was in fashion school full time and working full time – I couldn’t afford to get sick. I truly believe that this simple ritual helped to keep me healthy. Over the years I have adjusted this drink, at times I omitted the honey and included a pinch of turmeric and black pepper or a few drops of turmeric oil for an anti-inflammatory boost. But drinking a mug of hot water with fresh lemon has remained a constant to my morning ritual over the years.
Because I often read about the benefits of drinking this simple warming drink, I just assumed that it is something that everyone does. But after working with clients and speaking with friends and family over the past few years, I have learned that I was wrong. Despite the plethora of evidence supporting this simple detox ritual, many people have yet to get on board. If you are one of those people – don’t feel bad, but I would like to encourage you to include this simple drink into your morning routine.
Reasons to begin this detox ritual:
- It helps to rehydrate your body by replacing fluids you may have lost during the night while sleeping
- Aids digestion as the lemon juice helps to flush out unwanted toxins and waste from the body
- Boosts your immune system, lemons are a great source of vitamin C and honey is anti-bacterial.
- Helps to balance your body’s PH level. Disease thrives in an acidic environment within the body and lemons are one of the most alkalizing foods (once metabolized), so they are superstars when it comes to re-balancing your body’s PH to a healthier level.
- Helps to keep you skin clear. Vitamin C is a potent antioxidant which combats free radicals, this in turn helps to decrease wrinkles and blemishes and boosts your glow factor.
- Aids in weight loss. The pectin fibre in lemons helps to squash hunger cravings and keep you feeling fuller for longer.
What to do:
- It’s a good idea to use spring or filtered water as you want to keep it as clean as possible
- Use warm – hot (not boiling) water
- Squeeze the juice of half of a fresh lemon into a mug
- Pour in the hot water
- Optional additions to your lemon water: half a teaspoon of raw or Manuka honey, a pinch of turmeric powder/a few slivers or raw turmeric/3 -4 drops of turmeric oil with a bit of black pepper
Some people may feel that including a mug of hot lemon water to their mornings may be time consuming and that they just don’t have the time for it as they rush to start their day. I would suggest that if you are one of those people, then try to include this ritual into your mornings a few times a week when you are not so rushed (weekends perhaps?). Another option is to fill your travel mug with hot lemon water to sip on your way to work and have your first coffee when you arrive at work.
Try it and let me know what you think!
Do you have any detox rituals that you swear by? Let me know in the comments below!
I hope that you have a wonderful day! XXS