Today’s Behind the Design is very exciting for me as it is the first Canadian designer that I have featured on this series. Annaliesse Kelly is the principal of Annaliesse Kelly Design & Consulting based in Vancouver, British Columbia. AK Design is a full service interior design firm with a clear focus on working with their clients thru the design process to complete interiors that their clients have dreamed of and meet their needs. The result is clean, elegant interiors that are welcoming and functional. Without further adieu here is Stylishly Zen’s Behind the Design with Annaliesse Kelly:
- Did you always know that you wanted to work in interior design? Has it always been your passion?
Always. My mother was an interior designer and I was always hording her interior design magazines when I was growing up.
- How would you describe your design esthetic?
I hate that question! I like to say that we don’t sell a look we sell a service. Function proceeds form and we focus on what works well for your home. We collaborate with interior architects to design and plan what you need for your home to work or you. This includes everything from floorplans, lighting details, staircases, etc. Then we work in our esthetic of clean lines and balanced elegance. We try to have fun with our spaces.
- Where do you find your inspiration from?
Our client’s inspiration boards (we give them the tools to help to show us what they like), partners we collaborate with, trend research from social media, fashion, and travelling.
- What has been your most challenging project to date?
We are currently working on a project in Strathcona that is both challenging and very exciting. The home is 100 years old and we have to be mindful of building codes that apply to historical buildings. The lot is very small but quite high so access is difficult. We are lifting the house to put a basement below which again comes with its own set of challenges.
- How long does it take for you to normally complete a project?
That’s impossible to answer – it depends on the project. A condo can take 6months and a house can be well over a year.
- You have worked on a variety of projects from residential to commercial, one on one with clients to development projects, do you have a favourite type of project to work on?
I enjoy them all, it’s about the people and it’s a privilege to help them. I like different aspects for different reasons. One on one for helping people curate their dreams, development projects for branding. It’s all a journey of discovery and forward thinking.
- What has been your favourite project to work on so far?
My company. I love working with people
- Any favourite travel destinations that you like to escape too?Why?
NYC for the incredible design and varied architecture and businesses. I love the colours in California. I also love travelling to Europe, I am headed to Spain in the spring.
- Vancouver is a well-known wellness city; do you have any wellness practices that you have incorporated into your life to help you deliver such wonderful projects?
Go to bed at 9 and wake up at 6, exercise, good food and meditation at times. Even just getting outside and going to a walk can help.
- Any words of wisdom for someone who is just starting out their design career?
Trust yourself, try not to compare yourself to others and think outside of the box. Be brave! There is so much space for everyone!
Thank you so much Annaliesse for taking the time to do this interview. All images courtesy of Annaliesse Kelly Design. To see more of Annaliesse’s designs please visit http://www.annaliessekellydesign.com
Thank you everyone for stopping by Stylishly Zen and I hope that you have a beautiful day! XXS